Market & Applications
Why Our Company's Graphite Is Sought-After
- Next Graphite’s Aukam site contains a rare mixing of geothermal waters providing naturally precipitated graphite as solid carbon with a highly perfect crystallinity. The result is a special form of graphite known as “lump” or vein
- Aukam’s high-end, clean Lump Graphite has a low sulphur content and is available in only a few locations worldwide, including our Aukam site in Namibia, and in Sri Lanka.
- Limited worldwide supply of Lump Graphite has made this type of graphite extremely valuable to end users that desire this type of graphite for their value added manufacturing supply chain.
- The price of Lump Graphite in 2016 has typically ranged between USD $2,800 / tonne - $3,500 / tonne.
Graphite for Lithium-Ion and Fuel Cell Markets
- Graphite is the preferred anode (positive electrode) material needed in Hybrid Electric Vehicles (HEV) and in Electric Vehicles (EV)
- Substantial demand for new graphite production needed to power batteries
- Li-Ion market growing as a result of consumer electronics, fuel cells for HEV, Plug-In HEVs and EV vehicles and energy storage
- Estimates for size of Li-Ion markets estimated at ~$250B by 2020
- Major US and Global car manufacturers are increasing production of HEV, PHEV and EV vehicles
- Nickel hydride batteries are being replaced with Li-Ion power sources due to cost improvements
Other Graphite Applications
- High Quality Diamonds
- Solar Panels
- Thermally Conductive Polymers
- Hard Metals including Steel and Carbide Drills
- Additive for Chemical Fertilizers, Plastics and Rubber
- Raw Material for Graphite Foil
- High Temperature Coatings
- Construction Materials